Looking for an expert content moderator in the Philippines? Or planning to grow your team of content moderators and managers? Here’s what you need to know before you make your first hire…
As the size of your social media following grows, moderating your page’s content becomes incredibly time-consuming. Your customers are using social media 24/7 to contact your business, whether that’s to post questions, send direct messages, post comments or share photos.
No doubt you’ve got to the point where your in-house marketing people can’t keep up with the traffic by themselves, but you’ve found the cost of employing content moderators onshore is prohibitive.
One simple way to manage the 24-hour constant stream of posts – in an affordable way – is to outsource content moderation and hire a skilled content moderator in the Philippines.
Content moderator role
A content moderator’s role is to:
- Maintain the reputation of your business
- Promote a strong and positive community for your brand
- Reply to customer questions on your social media posts, blogs and forums
- Protect your social media page’s users from inappropriate content or harassment
- Use software to monitor content for certain words or image types, then make human judgments about the content
- Determine if a user’s post meets the guidelines of the platform and the group
- Remove offensive posts, offensive language, and spam comments
The common types of user-posted content that content moderators review are:
- Facebook posts and comments, including video, images and text
- Instagram images, stories and text
- YouTube videos
- Forum posts
- Product or service reviews
- Shared or linked articles in social media posts
- Blog comments
The more content your business produces across its platforms, the more comments, replies and links you’ll need to monitor. In fact, in an active and thriving online community, your engagement could add up to many thousands of posts each day, all of which need to be monitored. So if you’re finding your onshore solution isn’t up to this high-volume demand, it might be time to outsource your content moderation to the Philippines.
Content moderator experience
Quite a bit of your content moderators’ time will be spent fielding customer questions like “What are your opening hours?” (even when it’s clearly marked on your website!) and monitoring cheerful banter between members.
But one important thing to remember is that some of the content on your social media pages and groups can, inevitably, be negative comments about your business or offensive comments about other members of the group.
That’s why you need a few experienced or senior moderators on your team; to take care of challenging content dilemmas, and make tough decisions about banning inappropriate users.
A skilled content moderator in the Philippines knows how to tactfully defuse a cranky customer. There’s a real art to replying to an unhappy customer’s comment or negative review in a way that could resolve the situation as a win for your business.
They’ll also make judgment calls on which images and comments deserve to be deleted for violating the platform’s rules or the page’s rules (such as obscene photos, hate speech, defamatory comments, or bullying of other members).
As a result, the role of content moderator takes a special type of resilient person. You’ll benefit from taking your time to get to know candidates during the interview process to make sure they’re the right fit – and the right balance of junior and senior levels – to achieve your business goals.
Content moderators are categorized into 3 levels, based on years of experience:
Junior – A junior content moderator has 6 months to 1 year of relevant work experience
Intermediate – An intermediate content moderator has 2-3 years of relevant work experience
Senior – Senior ones have 3+ years of relevant work experience
When planning to hire a content moderator in the Philippines, it’s best to start with a team rather than just one person because:
- A team helps you manage the 24-hour nature of social media with a 24-hour roster
- Senior moderators can help with tricky content decisions, and teach junior moderators
Content moderation tools
Content moderation strategy combines human-powered and automated systems of moderation. There are several software programs that help content moderators to find and highlight content that might be inappropriate. But the technology isn’t perfect, so the process still needs human judgment.
Some common tools used when outsourcing content moderation are:
Save up to 70% on labor and occupancy costs
Because living costs are so low in the Philippines, labor and occupancy costs are low, too. We can employ and accommodate fully qualified, very experienced content moderators in the Philippines to grow your team for up to 70% less than you’d pay in your local employment market. That’s why outsourcing your content moderation just makes good business sense!
Tips for employing content moderators in the Philippines
- It takes 4-6 weeks to hire a content moderator in the Philippines.
- You’ll be surprised how fresh graduates or even those at college level do well as a content moderator.
- Normally, companies conduct their own content moderation training.
- The indicators of a good content moderator are:
- Exposure to various social media channels
- Active in online communities
- Keen attention to details
- Multi-tasking ability
- Depending on the volume of content to be processed daily, content moderators may be part of a team – a mix of junior to senior levels – reporting to a Lead Moderator or Webmaster.
Top 5 universities for content moderators
Content moderation is not yet an offering in universities/schools as of this time, though it’s a topic taught in any digital marketing course. As a result, content moderators come from a variety of backgrounds.
Most schools and universities in the Philippines produce highly employable graduates from many different degrees. The top universities are:
Sample content moderator profiles
- Proficient in DoubleClick Studio, YT Country Switch, Stoplight Tool, Firebug, Chaos crystal, Wireshark, Digital Color Meter
- Functional testing
- Manual testing
- User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- Black box testing
- Quality assurance
- Senior Process Executive (Content Moderator)
- Jr. Quality Assurance Specialist
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload
- Good interpersonal/communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and results-oriented
- Microsoft Office: Word, Powerpoint, Excel
- Content Moderator
- Quality Analyst (Document Review)
- Medical First Responder
Want to outsource to a content moderator – or team moderators – in the Philippines?
Since our inception in 2006, MicroSourcing has become one of the biggest managed operations providers in the Philippines. With over 4,000 employees, 7 delivery centers and close to 200 clients, we can help you build a dedicated team in the Philippines, regardless of the roles and level of specialization you require. We have more than 450 content moderators in the Philippines listed in our candidate database, and we’ve employed more than 50 content moderator roles since 2006.
Call 1800 250 841 +63 2 34371000 +44 800 756 3742 +1 866 643 0830 today or send us an email to discuss your company’s outsourced content moderation needs. You’ll have your offshore content moderator up and running in as little as 6 weeks.
HIPAA & PCI DSS compliant